History of the Band
Bakewell Silver Band - The Beginning
Bakewell Silver Band, as it is now known, emerged from a desire by a number of town's folk of Bakewell to once again have a musical organisation in the town. From the minutes of a general meeting held in the Congregational School Room on the evening of 19th February 1907 it was stated:
"[To] create a love of music amongst the young men of Bakewell, to encourage them to spend their time in a profitable and educational manner, and for their social uplifting."
The meeting was chaired by the Reverend W Rex, and the outcome of the meeting was that
"it was unanimously resolved that a band be formed."
The officers elected that evening were:
President: Mr. B Morton Esq. JP.
Trustees: Messrs. B Morton, T Allsop, A J Critchlow, W Rouston, T Briddon, S Wain and C Critchlow.
Committee: Messrs. Rose, Hughes, McGregor, Roberts, R Brammwell, Tiplady, R Blackwell, Webster, and Rev. W Rex.
Secretary: Geo. Allsop
Treasurer: Geo. Roberts
Conductor: B W Duckmanton
And so it was that The Bakewell Free Church Band was formed.
After a rapid succession of meetings in early 1907, it was decided that it was necessary to purchase a set of 23 new brass instruments from Besson & Co. London at a cost of £105-6-0. The instruments were paid for by public subscription, with each subscriber contributing a sum of at least 5/-. The band at the time would have been very similar in instrumentation as it is today.
In its previous form The Bakewell Church Lads' Brigade Band, which existed up to about 1880, would have been a mixture of brass, woodwind and reed instruments. Sadly, the band does not have any records from this organisation.